Indian-Spiced Grilled Chicken Drumstick
Give serious flavor to simple grilled drumsticks with this tasty yogurt and spice marinade. They’re just as delicious served warm or chilled, and are sure to become your newest summertime favorite. If you're not into the dark meat, try the marinade on chicken breast kabobs!
Servings: 12 servings
For the Marinade
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 1 TB granulated garlic found in the spice aisle
- 4 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks ~12, skin removed
- Chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish optional
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together. Pour over chicken, toss to coat, and chill several hours or overnight. When ready to cook, heat a gas or charcoal grill over medium heat. Coat grates with oil or cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade and cook for 25 minutes, turning frequently for even browning. Serve warm or chilled garnished with cilantro and scallion.
Ask your butcher to remove the skin from the chicken drumsticks as it allows the marinade to really penetrate the meat.It’s not hard to do yourself. Just use a paring knife to separate the skin from the meat and then use a paper towel to grip the skin and pull it down and off along the bottom of the bone.
Calories: 2038kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 171g | Fat: 135g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Cholesterol: 862mg | Sodium: 8040mg | Potassium: 2773mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 17.5% | Vitamin C: 23.3% | Calcium: 42.6% | Iron: 82.3%