This hearty, flavorful stew is a deliciously easy way to get more veggies in your life! Nutty roasted butternut squash and antioxidant-packed, sweet baby kale pair so perfectly here, they won’t even notice how healthy they’re eating.
Hearty Winter Veggie Stew w Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 TB olive oil
- 6 cups butternut squash cubed
- 2 cups onion diced
- 2 cups carrot diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 2 TB fresh sage chopped, divided
- 2 tsp garlic
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 tsp lemon
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Spread squash out over prepared pan, drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, and season with ½ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once halfway through.
- While squash roasts add remaining 2 tsp olive oil to a large soup pot and heat over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and season with remaining ½ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften (8-10 minutes). Add 1 TB sage, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, increase heat to bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is done. Add kale, roasted squash, remaining chopped sage, and lemon juice.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.