Hearty Ginger & Cumin Chickpea Soup
This vegetarian and vegan-friendly stew is a hearty, meatless meal that's delicious on its own or served over brown rice or couscous.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp table salt divided
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes in their own juice undrained
- 3 15 oz cans chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 2 5 oz containers pre-washed baby spinach
- 2 TB water
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and ½ tsp salt and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chickpeas to pan, stir to combine, and mash chickpeas slightly with a potato masher. Use tongs to toss in baby spinach, sprinkle mixture with water, and cook, covered for 5-10 minutes or until spinach is wilted (tossing mixture once half-way through). Stir in lemon juice, cilantro, and remaining ½ tsp salt.
If you like your dishes on the hot side, feel free to add ¼ tsp cayenne pepper when you add the other spices.
Calories: 809kcal | Carbohydrates: 129g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 4573mg | Potassium: 3233mg | Fiber: 37g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 390.7% | Vitamin C: 158% | Calcium: 63.7% | Iron: 107.7%