Grapes & Pecan Barley Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Barley's nutty flavor and toothsome texture make for an ideal savory salad. Grapes and pecans round out the taste for a delicious side or light vegetarian dinner.
- 1 ¾ cup + 1 TB water
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 ½ cups halved seedless red grapes
- ½ cup thinly sliced radicchio
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 TB minced fresh tarragon
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 TB chopped toasted pecans
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in barley, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered for 45 minutes or until barley is tender but chewy and water is absorbed. Transfer to a medium bowl, fluff with a fork, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix in grapes, radicchio, scallions and tarragon. In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss thoroughly to coat. Garnish each serving with 1 tsp pecans.
Calories: 835kcal | Carbohydrates: 129g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 925mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 8.2% | Vitamin C: 10.6% | Calcium: 10.2% | Iron: 29.6%