- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 4 ounces pancetta diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus more for serving
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and cook until it begins to brown.
Add onion and carrot and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add wine and cook until it has nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add broth, salt, pepper, beans and marinara sauce and increase heat to bring to a boil. When ready to serve, add pasta and cook until tender according to package directions.
Stir in Parmesan and serve garnished with additional Parmesan and optional basil.
As this soup sits it tends to thicken up –to make ahead wait to add the pasta and Parmesan until just before serving and thin with additional water or chicken broth as needed.