Good Old Creamed Spinach Pinch
Classic creamed spinach gets a makeover in this rich and creamy version that will have everyone fooled. Try it with lean grilled steak and roasted potatoes for a crowd-pleasing take on tradition.
- 2 16 oz bags chopped frozen baby spinach such as Birds’ Eye
- 2 TB butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 TB flour
- Pinch each of nutmeg & cayenne
- 1 12 oz can evaporated low fat milk such as Carnation 2%
- Place one bag of frozen spinach in a covered glass container.Microwave on high for 8 minutes and put in a colander to drain.Repeat with 2nd bag of spinach (adding to the same colander).Use a large serving spoon to press excess water out of spinach.Place in a serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan.Add onion and 1 tsp kosher salt.Sweat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft and translucent).Sprinkle with flour, nutmeg, and cayenne and stir to combine.Slowly whisk in evaporated milk and cook, whisking constantly, for an additional 5-7 minutes (or until thick and bubbling).Pour sauce into a blender or food processor (or use an immersion blender in the pot), blend sauce until smooth.Pour over spinach and toss to combine.Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Calories: 745kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 1043mg | Potassium: 3081mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 45g | Vitamin A: 971.2% | Vitamin C: 188.2% | Calcium: 64.2% | Iron: 82.6%