Goat Cheese Strata with Red Peppers & Mushrooms
A marvelous brunch recipe or a hearty vegetarian dinner entrée, this Mediterranean-inspired strata can be prepared the night ahead and reheated when your'e ready to serve.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion 1 large
- 8 oz package sliced portobello or cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted peppers rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes drained and coarsely chopped
- 10 slices wheat bread crusts removed and cubed (about 3 ½ cups)
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 3 cups egg substitute such as EggBeaters
- Butter flavor cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350. Melt butter over medium heat in a large non-stick sauté pan. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes or until water from mushrooms is released/evaporates and mushrooms are beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, roasted peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Lightly toss in bread cubes. Spray a 1 ½ quart casserole with cooking spray and add vegetable/bread mixture.
- Sprinkle top with goat cheese, pour egg substitute over all and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until center is set.