French Ratatouille with Poached Egg
Top traditional French ratatouille with a rich poached egg and you'll feel like you’re vacationing in Provençe. Pair it with a loaf of crusty French bread and you’re all set!
- 1 large eggplant cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lb or ~ 8 cups)
- 4 small zucchini cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lbs or ~ 4 cups)
- 2 large red peppers cored, seeded, cut into 1/4” dice (~3 cups)
- 1 large onion diced (~2 cups)
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 ½ tsp salt divided
- 1 TB garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- ¾ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 and line two baking sheets with parchment or cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss eggplant with 2 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across one sheet. In the same bowl toss zucchini and peppers with 1 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across other sheet. Roast in lower 1/3 of oven for ~25 minutes, stirring and rotating pans once during cooking, until vegetables are browned.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick sauce pan, sauté onion for ~10 minutes on medium or until soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add tomatoes and fennel seed, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. When roasted veggies are done, combine with tomatoes, remaining 1 ½ tsp salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Carefully crack each egg into a small cup and slide over ratatouille. Cover and cook until whites are set, about 5 minutes. Garnish with basil and serve warm.
If you’re not serving all 6 at once, you can poach an egg separately and serve on top of gently reheated ratatouille.
Calories: 1015kcal | Carbohydrates: 102g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 982mg | Sodium: 515mg | Potassium: 5095mg | Fiber: 34g | Sugar: 63g | Vitamin A: 11430IU | Vitamin C: 511.7mg | Calcium: 579mg | Iron: 15.4mg