French Onion Soup, Slow Cooker Style
Pull that slow cooker out of the cabinet and put it to work with this delicious French Onion Soup. Make meltingly sweet (hands-off) caramelized onions and add grated cheese to the final dish for a great take on this well-loved classic.
Servings: 6 serving
- 8 cups sliced onions 6-7 large onions or 3 lbs
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry fino sherry
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups low sodium beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Combine onions, butter, and salt in a slow cooker.Cook on high for 8-10 hours on low or until onions are well browned.Add sherry and stir to combine.Continue to cook on high with lid off for 10-15 minutes to evaporate alcohol.Add herbs, both stocks, and sugar to onions, combine well, and cook, covered, on high, for 2-3 hours to marry flavors. Discard herbs. Stir in sugar, soy sauce, and black pepper. Soup may be made up to 3 days before serving.
Serve this soup with optional grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese.