Fennel-Sage Pork Burgers w Provolone & Peppers
A surprising, delicious take on traditional burgers, pork patties are incredible with the flavors of fennel and sage. Try them as a fun option for your next barbecue or game day.
Servings: 4 burgers
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp minced fresh sage
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- 4 reduced calorie hamburger buns
- 8 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced peppers any color
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp minced fresh sage
To make Sautéed Peppers:
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat , add olive oil, peppers, onion, salt, pepper, and fennel seed.
- Cook, stirring frequently until peppers are soft or approximately 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, hot pepper flakes, and fresh sage and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to serve burgers.
To make Pork Burgers:
- Combine pork, fennel seed and sage in a large bowl. Form into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat an outdoor grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook burgers approximately 5-6 minutes per side or until just cooked through (it’s ok if pork burgers are a little pink in the middle). Add provolone cheese and heat to melt.
- To assemble burgers, spread grainy mustard on bottom of burger bun, top with burger and sautéed peppers.
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 1367mg | Potassium: 556mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 34.2mg | Calcium: 333mg | Iron: 3.2mg