Healthy Homemade Granola
Skip the overpriced, over-sweet granola section at the store and DIY your own endlessly customizable granola at home! This simple recipe takes just 30 mins and one bowl/one pan - plus you can make your favorite flavor combos or use up dried fruit and nuts you have on hand! Perfect for a satisfying snack, to top oatmeal, or yogurt parfaits too.
- 4 c old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups nuts or seeds any mix of almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, macadamia, pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 c coconut or canola oil
- 1/2 c real maple syrup or use honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or try ginger or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c optional sweet mix-ins like dried fruit, toasted coconut, chocolate chips see below for ideas!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line a large cookie sheet w parchment paper. In a large bowl stir together oats, nuts, oil, liquid sweetener, vanilla, spice, salt. Spread on sheet & bake for 20-25 mins - stirring once halfway. For large snackable chunks of granola press-down on the mixture to pack it down in the pan after stirring at the halfway point. This helps the granola form larger clumps.Let cool, add in optional sweet mix ins, & enjoy! Keeps up to 2 weeks or freeze for later. 1/2 cup per serving
You can use any combination of sweet mix-ins you like to create your perfect bowl of granola! Have fun with dried fruit like raisins golden raisins, cranberries, cherries/blueberries, chopped candied ginger, dried apricots, figs, dates, toasted coconut, orange zest &/or chocolate chips. To get you started - here are a few of my fav flavor combinations! Cinnamon-Walnut-Cranberry Apricot-Almond-Ginger Blueberry-Coconut-Pecan Honey-Date-Orange Zest Cherry-Walnut-Chocolate Chip
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 3.4% | Iron: 6.6%