Dutch Pancakes w Caramelized Apples
This twist on the classic puffy, soufflé-like Dutch Pancake features delicious caramelized apples that cook right in the pan themselves. We suggest featuring this beauty family-style at brunch with just a dusting of confectioners sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 TB unsalted butter
- 2 Pink Lady apples peeled, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon divided
- ¼ tsp ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 TB confectioners sugar for dusting
- 6 lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place butter in a medium (8” square) cast iron or oven-safe skillet or pie dish and heat in oven until melted.
- Add apples and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with 2 TB brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until apples are softened and bubbling.
- While apples cook, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour, salt, remaining 2 TB brown sugar, and remaining ½ tsp cinnamon.
- Pour batter over apples and return to oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and set in the middle.
- Sift confectioners sugar over top and serve warm with lemon wedges.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 6.8% | Vitamin C: 3.4% | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 7.8%