Crock Pot GalbiJjim (Korean Short Ribs)
Galbi Jjim is a comfort food staple for every family in Korea. It's one of those my-grandma-made-it-best dishes that feels like a big, cozy hug. To round out the meal, serve these incredibly tender short ribs over rice or noodles with kimchi on the side. To make it cute, garnish with a bit of shredded cucumber and daikon radish.
Servings: 10 people
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 TB rice wine vinegar
- 2 TB minced ginger
- 2 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 lbs beef short ribs thick cut, extra fat trimmed
- 1 Asian pear peeled, diced (or substitute 2 Bosc pears)
- 2 cups baby carrots halved widthwise
- 4 scallions chopped
- 3 TB toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Place ribs, pear, and carrots in slow cooker and pour sauce over all. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 9 hours until meat is tender and falls from the bone easily. Strain braising liquid and cool slightly (or for several hours in refrigerator) to skim fat from top. Serve ribs, carrots, and pear over noodles or rice topped with braising liquid and garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.
If you serve the rib meat shredded, be sure to remove the rubbery (unappealing) band that connected the meat to the bone.You can also brown the ribs before adding to the slow cooker-but it really isn’t necessary here.
Calories: 3743kcal | Carbohydrates: 145g | Protein: 337g | Fat: 197g | Saturated Fat: 75g | Cholesterol: 976mg | Sodium: 7826mg | Potassium: 7487mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 104g | Vitamin A: 727.5% | Vitamin C: 34.3% | Calcium: 64.1% | Iron: 260.5%