- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped (~1 medium)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup leeks white & light green sections, chopped (~ 2 leeks)
- 1 cup carrots chopped (~ 3 medium)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs garlic cloves minced (~2 cloves)
- 6 oz package Canadian bacon diced
- 64 ounces fat-free chicken broth
- 1 lb bag green split peas rinsed and sorted (~2 ¼ cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large soup or stock pot. Add onion, celery, leek, carrot and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened (~ 10 minutes). Stir in garlic and Canadian bacon and cook 1 minute longer.
Add broth, peas, bay leaf, rosemary and black pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until split peas are softened and soup has thickened.
Remove bay leaf before serving.
If time is an issue, feel free to use a food processor to coarsely chop the vegetables. Just pulse each a few times until no large pieces remain.