Citrusy Belgian Waffles with Crème Fraîche & Raspberries
Light and crispy Belgian waffles get their citrus punch from lemon and are amazing topped with rich, sweet crème fraîche and fresh raspberries. It's a beautiful brunch dish or an impressive breakfast when you want to impress that special someone.
Sweet Crème Fraiche
- 8 oz container crème fraiche
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar plus additional for garnish
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted&slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- Cooking spray or oil to grease waffle maker
- 2 - 6 oz cartons fresh raspberries
- To make sweet crème fraîche:Whisk together all ingredients.
- To make citrusy Belgian waffles: Preheat waffle maker on high.Mix milk, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl and let rest until curdled (~ 5 minutes). In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, and melted butter. Add curdled lemon-milk.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites for 1-2 minutes or until they hold stiff peaks. Whisk dry ingredients into milk mixture until combined. Fold whites into batter (working in thirds) until combined.
- Pour batter into preheated, greased waffle maker (amount of batter will vary based on your waffle maker) and bake until crisp and golden (~4-6 minutes). Keep finished waffles warm on a resting rack in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. When ready to serve, use a small sieve or sifter to dust waffles with confectioners’ sugar.
- Spoon some sweet crème fraîche over the top and garnish with fresh raspberries. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
Sweet crème fraîche can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept chilled.To speed prep the morning of, juice and zest lemon and separate eggs for waffles the night before and keep chilled. Measure out and whisk together dry waffle ingredients and have at the ready in a large bowl, covered, at room temperature. This waffle batter will work in any waffle maker. Check your manual for the recommended amount of batter.