Caramelized Leek & Cremini Mushroom Barley Pilaf
Lightly sweet leeks and earthy mushrooms blend amazing flavor in simple side that's absolutely delicious when paired with roast chicken or turkey.
Servings: 5 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks chopped, rinsed, drained
- 8 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms 3 cups
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup pear barley
- 1 tsp minced rosemary
- 1 TB fat free Greek yogurt
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add leeks, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until leeks are softened and mushrooms are beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, barley, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in yogurt and mustard and serve.
Feel free to substitute minced fresh sage for the rosemary. This dish would also be delicious with some grated parmesan stirred in for a risotto-like finish.
Calories: 838kcal | Carbohydrates: 166g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2454mg | Potassium: 1916mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 89% | Vitamin C: 39.9% | Calcium: 25.8% | Iron: 57%