Butternut Squash Bisque with Ginger
Ginger gives butternut squash the perfect flavor in this tasty, creamy bisque. Serve it with shaved fresh parmesan cheese or add a swirl of heavy cream for a pretty presentation.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 TB + 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 pounds whole butternut squash approximately 14 cups cubed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Heat butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in ginger, cinnamon and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add butternut squash, chicken stock and water to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes or until squash is extremely tender. Add cream and remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt to pot. Working in batches, carefully purée soup in blender (or use an immersion blender directly in the pot).
- Ladle bisque into soup bowls, garnish each bowl with 1 TB parmesan shavings and serve.
A sharp peeler works well for making parmesan curls. Can be made up to 4 days ahead and reheated when ready to serve.Leftovers freeze well. Use a microplane to make quick work of mincing fresh ginger. In a pinch use bottled minced ginger and pre-cut butternut squash cubes. If you like your soup thicker, simply omit the additional 2 cups of water when preparing.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 454mg | Potassium: 1859mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 48520IU | Vitamin C: 99.5mg | Calcium: 392mg | Iron: 3.7mg