Black Bean Soup with Ancho Chili & Lime
This hearty and wonderfully flavorful bean soup comes together quickly with pantry staples. Try it paired with quesadillas or tacos for a delicious Mexican inspired meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded, minced
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2 30 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 TB low fat Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño, and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until onions are softened. Add spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beans to pot with chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes for flavors to blend. Stir in yogurt and lime juice and use an immersion blender to puree soup. Serve garnished with cilantro and scallions.
This soup would also be beautiful served with a swirl of Greek yogurt on top at the end.
Calories: 1509kcal | Carbohydrates: 239g | Protein: 97g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 2541mg | Potassium: 3895mg | Fiber: 82g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 28.2% | Vitamin C: 40% | Calcium: 37.4% | Iron: 120.3%