Beet-Red Mini Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
These incredibly moist and flavorful mini cupcakes get their rich red tint from a surprise ingredient, pureed beets! A light cream cheese glaze makes for the perfect finish.
Servings: 12 servings
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ¾ cup pureed beets canned, jarred, or roasted/peeled
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops red food coloring optional
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.Line a 24 cup mini-muffin tin with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a second large bowl, beat together beets, sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, vanilla extract, and optional food coloring until creamy and smooth. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, pour in wet, and fold gently until just combined.
- Spoon evenly into cupcake liners and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Beat together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract.When cupcakes are completely cooled, spread glaze evenly across top (glaze will set in an hour or two).
Calories: 2138kcal | Carbohydrates: 356g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 75g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 1754mg | Potassium: 1669mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 251g | Vitamin A: 12.7% | Vitamin C: 4.8% | Calcium: 46.7% | Iron: 66.6%