Baked Penne with Turkey and Mushroom Ragù
A lightened up take on this rich and filling comforting food classic uses lean turkey and additional veggies. It's the perfect family-friendly make ahead meal!
Course: Main Dish
Servings: 45 servings
Calories: 2626 kcal
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 lb whole wheat penne cooked according to package instructions
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms 3 ½ cups
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 1 TB minced garlic
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 12 oz roasted peppers drained, rinsed, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 30 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 TB no-salt Italian seasoning
- ½ cup minced fresh basil extra for garnish
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large 3 quart casserole with cooking spray. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, mushroom, and turkey and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until liquid has evaporated.
Add garlic, red pepper flakes, roasted peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and basil. Simmer ragù for 10 minutes so flavors blend. Stir in cooked penne and half the cheese. Spoon penne mixture into prepared casserole and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Garnish with additional fresh basil.