Avocado Bowls w Egg, Pickled Red Onion & Fresh Salsa
Avocado halves serve as edible vessels for baked eggs in this beautiful, delicious, so easy to make dish. Pickled red onion and tomato salsa provide the perfect finish for a savory, satisfying breakfast or brunch treat that's so pretty, they'll never guess how simple it was.
Servings: 2 servings
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 TB lime juice
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 plum tomato seeded and diced
- 2 TB minced jalapeño
- 1 TB chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Toss together onion and lime juice and let sit for 15 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking dish with foil.
- Halve and pit avocado and scoop out 3 TB from each half, leaving a small bowl (with ~4 TB remaining in each half). Cut a thin slice across the bottom so halve sits flat. Season avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Crack an egg on top of each half, slowly pouring whites so they don’t spill over. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until whites are set and yolk is done to your liking.
- While eggs are baking, combine pickled onion, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, cumin, and salt in a small bowl. Top each avocado half with salsa and serve.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 363mg | Potassium: 688mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 16.1% | Vitamin C: 46.1% | Calcium: 3.7% | Iron: 8.3%