Asparagus Spears & Prosciutto
Fresh spring asparagus is absolutely delicious and elegant in this super simple treat. Try it as a great accompaniment to a spring brunch or a fun party appetizer.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb asparagus ends trimmed
- 6 oz thin sliced prosciutto
- 1 tbsp light cream cheese
- 1 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- Fill a large stock pot with well-salted water. Bring to a rolling boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water on the side. Blanch asparagus spears for approximately 3-4 minutes, until just tender.
- Drain and immediately plunge into ice bath. Let chill for 3-5 minutes. Spread spears on a paper-towel lined baking sheet to air dry for a few minutes.
- Working with one asparagus spear at a time, slice prosciutto into small rectangles (~1” x 4” for thinner asparagus stalks,~1 ¼” x 6” for thicker stalks). Lightly spread a dab of cream cheese down the center of each prosciutto rectangle and place asparagus stalk across the narrow end/bottom at a slight angle.
- Gently roll up prosciutto around asparagus so it wraps up and around the stalk to partially cover it. Just before serving, arrange asparagus on a serving platter, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, and season with several grinds of black pepper.
This dish can be prepared up to a day before serving. Simply cover with a damp paper towel and wrap in plastic wrap. Garnish with vinegar and pepper just before serving.