Apple-Stuffed French Toast Casserole
This sneakily easy casserole is a unique dish for breakfast or brunch that is sure to become a new family favorite. Sweet apple filling bakes between layers of cinnamon raisin bread in your slow cooker for an impressive and delicious casserole.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 TB butter
- 4 honey crisp apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar divided
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon divided
- pinch each nutmeg and allspice
- 9 slices cinnamon raisin bread halved diagonally
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- Maple syrup and fresh berries for serving
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Stir in lemon juice, 3 TB brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Whisk together eggs, cream, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Coat the inside of an oval slow cooker with cooking spray. Dunk 10 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange in an overlapping circle on bottom of slow cooker. Spread apples on top. Dip remaining 8 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange in a wreath shape around the edge of the slow cooker, leaving some apples showing in the center.
- Pour remaining egg mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with pecans. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until egg is set in the center. Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 14.5% | Vitamin C: 5.6% | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 9.6%