Apple Spice Breakfast Casserole
An easy-to-make take on stuffed French toast, this apple-cinnamon treat is wonderful for brunch, especially on cold winter mornings.
Servings: 8 servings
- Butter flavor non-stick cooking spray
- 12 slices whole wheat bread diced
- 5 large granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar divided
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Spray a large 8x10” casserole with cooking spray.Place bread cubes in oven on a cookie sheet to toast for 10 minutes.While bread toasts, prepare apples.Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add apples and sauté for 3-5 minutes.Add water, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 TB brown sugar, and cook on high, stirring frequently until apple slices are softened and glazed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg substitute, milk, remaining 3 TB brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp salt.Toss toasted bread cubes and sautéed apples in egg mixture and pour into prepared casserole.
- Bake, covered in foil, for 30 minutes.Remove foil and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set and top begins to brown.Divide into 8 pieces and serve warm,drizzled with maple syrup.