Have some extra apples lying around? Been to the orchard and don't know what to do with your bounty? Try our super simple savory chutney. You'll love it as a tasty complement to ham, roast chicken or turkey or even grilled cheese sandwiches.
Servings: 2 cups
- 3 large Gala or Granny Smith apples peeled, diced
- ½ cup plus 2 TB minced shallot divided
- 1 TB minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ tsp mustard seed
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients except 2 TB minced shallot in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until sugar melts.
- Cover and cook for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chutney is thick. Let cool and stir in reserved 2 TB shallots.
- Chill before serving.
Don't be afraid to make a big batch to keep on hand in the fridge. This chutney keeps for several weeks.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 893mg | Potassium: 518mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 87g | Vitamin A: 5.4% | Vitamin C: 52.8% | Calcium: 6.9% | Iron: 4.7%