A crispy panko topping provides the perfect crunch for this take on the classic cauliflower gratin.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 lbs cauliflower florets, from one large or 2 small heads
- 2 TB unsalted butter
- 2 TB flour
- 1 cup lowfat millk, warmed
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh grated pecorino cheese
- 2 Tb chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a large gratin with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook cauliflower for 5-6 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in warm milk until thick and smooth. Add garlic, 1 tsp salt, cheeses, and nutmeg. Toss together with cauliflower and pour into baking pan.
In a small bowl toss together panko, pecorino, additional ½ tsp salt. Sprinkle over cauliflower and bake for 15-20 minutes or until panko begins to brown. Garnish with parsley and serve