This twist on a classic French vegetable soup is finished with a bright and herbal pesto swirled in at the end. It's a delicious way to take advantage of spring's bounty – from your garden or a nearby farmers’ market!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced leeks (from 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 32 oz cartons low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 19 oz can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 tsp prepared or homemade pesto
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add leeks, celery, and carrots and sprinkle with 1 tsp kosher salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for approximately 10 minutes (or until vegetables begin to soften). Add garlic, stir to combine, and cook for 1 additional minute. Add chicken broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add zucchini, peas, beans, and tomatoes. Cook for an additional 10 minutes so flavors can meld. Ladle soup into bowls and swirl ½ tsp pesto into each when ready to serve.