Roasted veggies add incredible flavor to this classic dish, and help you spend less time at the stove. means less time spent at the stove. The addition of diced tempeh and pine nuts lend a delicious bite to this tasty recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 large eggplant, cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lb or ~ 8 cups)
- 4 small zucchini, cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lbs or ~ 4 cups)
- 2 large red peppers, cored, seeded, cut into 1/4” dice (~3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (~2 cups)
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ½ tsp salt, divided
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 TB garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1 cup tempeh, diced small
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 TB pine nuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 and line two baking sheets with parchment or cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss eggplant with 2 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across one sheet. In the same bowl, toss zucchini and peppers with 1 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across other sheet. Roast in lower 1/3 of oven for ~25 minutes, stirring and rotating pans once during cooking, until vegetables are browned.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick sauce pan, sauté onion for ~ 10 minutes on medium or until soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tempeh, and fennel seed, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. When roasted veggies are done, combine with tomatoes. Stir in basil, remaining 1 ½ tsp salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
Garnish each serving with 1 tsp pine nuts.