Create this hearty stew easily and quickly with staples from your pantry. Top it with a creamy poached egg to make a truly substantial meal. It's also delicious served over whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp table salt, divided
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tsp spicy pimentón (smoked paprika)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes in their own juice, undrained
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 ½ cups roasted peppers, drained & chopped
- 2 5 oz containers pre-washed baby spinach
- 2 TB water
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and ½ tsp salt and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, cumin, cayenne, and pimentón and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, roasted peppers, and chickpeas to pan, stir to combine, and mash chickpeas slightly with a potato masher.
Use tongs to toss in baby spinach, sprinkle mixture with water, and cook, covered for 5-10 minutes or until spinach is wilted (tossing mixture once half-way through). Stir in remaining ½ tsp salt. Carefully crack each egg into a small cup and slide over stew. Cover and cook until whites are set, about 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.