Make quick work of weeknight fajitas with pre-packaged fajita spice mix. Try it tucked into whole wheat tortillas or over shredded lettuce for a light Mexican salad.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 frozen chicken tenders (I use Foster Farms)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 8 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms (3 ½ cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with chilis, drained (such as Ro-tel)
- 2 TB fajita spice mix (from a 1 oz envelope found in the Mexican section of supermarkets)
- 2 TB minced fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan. Cook chicken tenders for 12-15 minutes (turning once during cooking) or until browned and cooked through, remove to a plate. Add onion, mushrooms, and pepper slices to pan and cook for 7-10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, tomatoes with chilis, spice mix, and chicken and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes for flavors to meld. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Have fun with toppings for these fajitas. Try different salsas, lime wedges, light sour cream, shredded light cheese, etc. If your family likes things on the mild side, substitute a can of diced tomatoes without chilis.