Tasty grilled veggies and fresh mozzarella stack up for a delicious, satisfying treat. Serve them as a light vegetarian lunch or as a side to roasted chicken.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium eggplant, cross sliced into 8, ¼” slices
- 2 red peppers, each seeded and cut into 4 large pieces
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into 8 large pieces
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stemmed and halved crosswise
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ lb fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard reserve. Arrange vegetables on a large baking sheet. Spray both sides lightly with cooking spray and season with remaining 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
Heat a large grill pan or outdoor grill on high and grill veggies for approximately 5 minutes per side, until grill marks are evident and veggies have softened. (Press down lightly on peppers, mushrooms, and fennel to flatten as they cook). While veggies are still warm, assemble stacks on serving platter or individual plates: In this order layer 1 slice eggplant, 1 piece of mushroom, 1 slice mozzarella, 1 slice fennel, and 1 piece of pepper.
Secure with a toothpick. Drizzle each stack with ¾ tsp vinaigrette, garnish with basil, and serve warm.