Day old baguettes get a second life in this classic stuffing with fresh sage. Walnuts provide a satisfying crunch that can't be beat.
Prep Time: 30 minutes (to prep stuffing mix)
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes (to bake, largely unattended)
Yield: Approximately 12 servings
- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 ½ TB minced fresh sage, plus additional for garnish
- 1 TB kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces day-old baguette or Italian bread, cut into 1” cubes (approximately 3 quarts cubes)
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in a large sauté pan and add onions, mushrooms, celery and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 15–20 minutes, stirring often, until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated and vegetables are softened.
Toss sautéed vegetables with bread cubes, fresh sage and walnuts. Combine eggs, chicken broth and remaining salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over bread mixture and combine thoroughly. Place stuffing in 2 medium or 1 large greased baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown top.
Stuffing may be prepared and assembled up to 3 days before serving. Allow approximately 10 additional minutes of (covered) baking time.