The sweetness of butternut squash comes together with savory sage and turkey sausage to create a comforting, delicious meal on a cold winter’s day! Speed prep time by buying cubed butternut squash from your local market.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (~2 large)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ¼ lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, sliced thinly
- 8 cups non-fat chicken stock
- 2 ½ lbs butternut squash, diced (~8 cups)
- 1 TB minced sage
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 - 19 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 tsp grated parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot. Add onion, sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and sauté for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add sausage slices and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring often until browned on all sides. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add stock, squash, sage, and nutmeg. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Cook for 10 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Add cannellini beans and heat an additional 10 minutes to heat through. Stir in lemon juice and additional 1 tsp salt (or to taste). Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tsp parmesan.
Freezing your turkey sausage will make it easier to slice thinly.