A marvelous brunch recipe or a hearty vegetarian dinner entrée, this Mediterranean-inspired strata can be prepared the night ahead and reheated when your'e ready to serve.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 TB butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion (1 large)
- 8 oz package sliced portobello or cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- ½ cup jarred roasted peppers, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 10 slices wheat bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 3 ½ cups)
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups egg substitute (such as EggBeaters)
- Butter flavor cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350. Melt butter over medium heat in a large non-stick sauté pan. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes or until water from mushrooms is released/evaporates and mushrooms are beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
Stir in Italian seasoning, roasted peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Lightly toss in bread cubes. Spray a 1 ½ quart casserole with cooking spray and add vegetable/bread mixture.
Sprinkle top with goat cheese, pour egg substitute over all and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until center is set.