Don't waste those greens when you make fresh beets. Store them in the freezer until you have enough for this fabulously healthy and tasty dish.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 1/2 cups farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 1 tsp evoo
- 2 cups thin sliced red onion
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups washed & coarsely chopped beet greens (from about 4 large bunches of beets)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 TB toasted pine nuts
Cook farfalle in salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté onion with salt for approximately 10 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add garlic to pan and cook for 1 minute. Pour broth into pan and increase heat to high.
Toss beet greens in and cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until greens are wilted and broth is reduced. Toss in cooked farfalle and basil. Garnish with feta and pine nuts just before serving.