My So Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup is a fantastic way to spice up leftover chicken; or pick up a rotisserie chicken for an easy 8 minute dinner anytime. Also perfect for meal prep! Set up a fun nacho-style toppings bar (ideas below) to let everyone customize their own bowl. It’s a great way to get kids to try new things too!
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ancho chili powder (or regular)
3 cups chicken broth
1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 TB fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheddar, Sour Cream, Crushed Tortilla Chips, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Diced Avocado
Heat olive oil in a soup pot set over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion is softened. Add garlic and ancho chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken and lime juice. Increase heat to high, cover, and cook an additional 2 minutes to heat through. Stir in cilantro and serve topped with optional garnishes.
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Yields 7 cups soup to serve 4
Cooking w Julie’s Chef Tips:
- Hit the prepared produce section for pre-cut onion & peeled garlic to slash prep time
- Use a Microplane to mince your garlic in a flash
- Ancho chili powder has a light heat & slightly fruity flavor – it’s a great spice to add to your pantry!
- To make this dish less spicy swap plain diced tomatoes instead of fire roasted
- Finishing this soup w lime juice is the key to it’s bright flavor –try lemon juice in your next batch of traditional chicken soup for a similar effect